<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Reflections on a Wandering Life.....

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Got an urgent text message from my Chinese granddaughter in Xi'an. She was concerned about the aftershocks she has been feeling. I told her, "If you start to feel an aftershock, start dancing, and you won't notice." That seemed to make her feel better, but I am afraid it was small comfort. Aftershocks are unnerving, especially after a big quake. I remember the Nigata (Japan) earthquake of '64 like it was yesterday. Every time I felt an aftershock, I had this horrible feeling that the whole thing was going to start again. In truth, aftershocks are not as severe as the original quake, but with a quake this severe, the aftershocks are probably quite a bit more violent than the original quake I went through. Sometimes the sensation of danger can be more upsetting than the danger itself.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?