<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Reflections on a Wandering Life.....

Friday, May 30, 2008

This place is really growing. This my third year here, and the students keep coming. Five hundred the first year, 1800 last year, 2800 this year, and they will probably get another 1000 students in the fall. Creates problems too. They just brought in a new bunch of teachers, so when I came down this time, they didn't have an apartment for me; stuck me in a dormitory with just a bedroom and bathroom--sorta like a hotel room. Nice, but small. Good view of the campus from up here, though.

Well, as a matter of conscience, I couldn't pretend that I cared about the space, 'cause I really don't, but I did make them bring in a washing machine, a water purifier and a little refrigerator. You really need to be able to wash clothes in this hot, sweaty climate. In Beijing I only do laundry once every two weeks. That's partly because the floor lady has two washing machines, and I can use both at the same time. But it's mainly because, for much of the year in Beijing, you don't sweat much. I have to be careful where I put my clothes when I take them off, because I can't tell the dirty ones from the clean ones. This isn't just because I am such a naturally clean person, although I'm sure that has something to do with it. Beijing is just very, very dry.

Can't get by with that here. Wear cotton, and wash it often.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?