<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Reflections on a Wandering Life.....

Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Dreams Travel International Youth Hostel. Hard to believe it has been four years since I was here last. The place is pretty much the same, but a little dead, because the cooks are gone due to the earthquake, so they are not able to staff the restaurant. But the location is very good for me, because it is quite near the university where the others are staying. They had actually booked a hotel for me, but I told them I would rather stay at the youth hostel. Cheap hotels in China are not that inviting, but most local people have never heard of youth hostels. I paid 30 RMB a night, but I met a guy who told me that he booked online and got it for 9 RMB. That's a dorm bed, of course, not a private room, but still quite comfortable, and Starbucks is right down the street.

Picked up a used book some time ago, but I just haven't gotten around to reading it. It is a translation by Kitty Muggeridge (wife of Malcum Muggeridge) of Abandonment to Divine Providence by Jean Pierre de Caussade, the 18th Century French mystic. She changed the title. She calls it The Sacrament of the Present Moment. You will know why she chose that title if you understand the mystic's belief that the present moment is a sacrament from God. So we are abandoning ourselves to God's divine will as we give ourselves to the present moment. At least I think that's what he believed. I'll let you know if I get any great insight.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?