<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Reflections on a Wandering Life.....

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Visited the Stilwell museum this morning. I had asked Sanni from the youth hostel to help me find it the other day, and she mentioned that she would have the day off today, so I invited her to come with me. I didn't need a translator, because the site is all in English. But it is handy to have someone along who knows the city a bit, and can save me the trouble of figuring out all the transportation routes.

This museum is really worth seeing. But I say that because of my interest in history. If you aren't much of a history buff, perhaps you wouldn't appreciate it as much as I did. But I still think you should take a look. Most of the information at the museum appears to have been supplied by the US military. I think the main reason China allowed the US military so much latitude is because Stilwell is well known in history as a friend of China. But it's also, I think, because he couldn't stand Chiang Kai-shek, and opposed him very publicly. He wanted Chiang to fight the Japanese. Chiang, of course, wanted to spare his resources for fighting the Communists.

I hadn't realized it until we got to the museum, but there was also a display for the Flying Tigers. The Flying Tigers had their headquarters in Kunming. Not sure why they have a display here in Chongqing, but I would guess it's because Chongqing was the war time capital during the time that the Flying Tigers were fighting the Japanese in the skies over Burma.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?