<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Reflections on a Wandering Life.....

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

God is good. 

Sophia, Ben and Lindy had a little party for me at the Bridge Cafe this morning. My birthday is on Friday, but we meet every Wednesday morning to study the Book of Romans.

Sophia asked about what I had learned about God over the past 55 years. I told her that what struck me most after 55 years was the extraordinary goodness of the Lord. In the Christian community we are accustomed to thinking of this present life as a "vale of tears." We console ourselves through the troubles of this life by telling ourselves that they are worth suffering for the happiness we will know in the next. But David said, "I had fainted unless I had believed to see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living." Not the land of the dead. Not the "Sweet By and By." God is good to us here, now, in the land of the living. This does not mean that we do not have trouble in this life. But the "end of the Lord" is always characterized by unusual goodness toward those who wait for Him.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?