<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Reflections on a Wandering Life.....

Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Commuting 

Every morning I walk to the bus stop to catch the bus for the 45 minute ride to Wudaokou. Commuting. Something I always swore I would never do. At the University, I lived on campus and rode my bike to the office.

But recently, I have come to accept the fact that if I am not living near the hills, all my good intentions won't be enough to get me out to them. My forced retirement from the University (due to the age restriction at Beihang) was just the kick out of the nest that I needed to help me make the decision to move to the village.

I am signed up for class at a language school in Wudaokou until July. This is one reason I took pains to find a place that was near the bus yard. My village is remote enough to be shielded from the noise of the city, but close enough for me to be able to commute. I think the balance is about right now, but I am a little worried about what will happen when the subway comes this way. It will be more convenient, but I am afraid it will be a little too convenient. It isn't just the jump in real estate prices. It is the tremendous influx of people I fear most. On the weekends, this area can get quite crowded, because people come out to get away from the city and hike in the hills. Surely can't blame them, but it is anything but tranquil. But on weekdays, especially weekday evenings, there is plenty of solitude up in these hills. There are much fewer people, and the few who come have pretty much gone home by the time I start hiking. But what will happen if the subway comes out this direction? Will I still be walking to the bus yard to the crow of the rooster?

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?