<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Reflections on a Wandering Life.....

Friday, February 04, 2011

Lantau Island 

Took the ferry out to Lantau Island today. St. Andrew's Church is having an outing there tomorrow, so I am going to spend the night at the youth hostel there. On the way out to the island, I saw these barges doing an offshore load/unload. Not sure, but it looks like the barge on one side is loading while the other is unloading. I don't know what is the reason for this offshore approach--lack of birth space at the dock, or just simplicity.

I can't say that I recommend this youth hostel. The hostel is nice, actually, and the site is rural. But it is right near the tourist area surrounding the giant Buddha. The website said there were plenty of places to eat in the village. But "the village" turns out to be a modern shopping area. Everything is expensive. And another thing. Bus fares on the island are astronomical. I know, I am spoiled. I am used to Beijing, where the standard bus fare is 4 mao (about 7 cents US).

The most depressing thing, though, is the pervasiveness of Hong Kong's pollution. It fills up the area near the mountain, seeps out across the bay, and covers the outer islands. Makes one feel a bit dismal about the future of this colony.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?