Reflections on a Wandering Life.....
Wednesday, December 12, 2012
Christmas. This weeks unit is about holidays, so I outlined the 20 basic facts of Christmas and had the English majors design skits to act out some of the 20 items on the list. Here is the list I compiled:
Basic Events of Christmas
- Mary and Joseph are betrothed.
- The angel Gabriel appears to Mary to tell her that she has been chosen to bear the special child.
- Mary stays with her cousin for three months.
- Mary is discovered to be pregnant.
- Joseph decides to put her away quietly.
- Joseph has a dream, where is told that Mary has not been unfaithful.
- Caesar Augustus issued a decree that a census should be taken of the entire Roman world.
- Everybody was required to go to their home town, so Joseph took Mary and went to Bethlehem.
- Bethlehem is very crowded, because so many people have come to their home town to register, so there is no room for them in the inn. They find a barn to have their baby.
- The angel appears to the shepherds.
- The shepherds go to visit the baby.
- Mary and Joseph take the baby to the temple in Jerusalem.
- Simeon saw the baby and recognized him. He says that this baby will bring light to many nations. He also tells Mary that a sword will pierce her heart.
- Wise men from Persia come to Jerusalem looking for the new King.
- Herod is very upset and asks them exactly when they first saw the star.
- He asks the Jewish scholars where this child is supposed to be born.
- Herod orders all the children in Bethlehem killed.
- Joseph is warned in a dream to go to Egypt.
- After Herod dies, Joseph returns to Israel and goes home to Nazareth.
- The child grew to be a healthy child and apparently took over his father’s business when Joseph died.