<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Reflections on a Wandering Life.....

Tuesday, August 06, 2013

Manzhouli Coffee 

Finally found someone who speaks English in this town. A young lady has opened a small coffee bar not too far from the youth hostel. I just happened to walk by it the other day. She doesn't have a lot of experience with coffee--her mocha tastes like a regular cup of coffee--but it's a nice little place, with the added benefit of a screaming fast wireless system. I can watch McLaughlin Group on YouTube through my VPN without it breaking up. Because of this coffee bar, I found out there are actually English speaking people in this town. There's some kind of language school in this town, I guess, because the English teachers come to this coffee bar, since the "matron" of the place speaks pretty good English. She seems to be in her early twenties--I don't think she's been in business very long. But she's very friendly and determined to make a go of this thing, and I think she just might, because it's small, so her overhead is probably not that large, and she has a dedicated group of patrons who really seriously do not have any other place to go if they don't speak Mandarin. This town would not be the easiest for someone whose only language is English. Her English is quite good, which is extremely rare in Manzhouli.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?